Monday 24 July 2017

The Write Stuff with... Rachel Dove

Today it's my pleasure to be handing over the blog to author Rachel Dove to talk about her top tips for writing a series, book 2 in her series The Flower Shop on Foxley St. is out this Wednesday.

When I entered the Prima magazine/Mills & Boon Flirty Fiction competition in January 2015, I had no idea that in summer 2017 I would be releasing book 2 in the series, and writing the next. The Chic Boutique on Baker Street was solely about two rival store owners in a small village originally, and then it grew from there.

Writing a series for me has been like writing a diary, a recollection of events that seem real about characters I feel I actually know. It struck me as odd sometimes when authors spoke of characters doing their own thing in their books, but I totally understand that now. Some characters, like the irrepressible Agatha Taylor (nee Mayweather) never shut up. She seems like the inner voice in my head now, and I wouldn't wish her away. I have written other novels that are separate to the Westfield series, but I must admit going back to Westfield feels a little like coming home.

Here are my top 5 tips for writing a series - I hope they help other budding authors out there!
  1. character profiles are a must - you must be constant - eye colour, hair colour, job - these small details will trip you up

  2. location - buildings don't just disappear or appear - draw yourself a map, plan out locations, scenes, set it in real life places if you wish but be consistent!

  3. You can have a completely different set of characters. My series is about new characters each time, but other characters are consistent when interacting.   

  4. Have a plan for the ending - some series are much bigger than others. Charlaine Harris wrote 13 Sookie Stackhouse novels and companions, and every one is spot on. The characters have believable character arcs, and progression is believable. 

  5. Have fun! If you are not enjoying writing the story, readers will not enjoy reading it. Make sure you love your own series. 
Meanwhile, I had better get back to Agatha and the others in Westfield - they get up to all sorts when I turn my back!

Rachel Dove

Website: https://racheldoveauthor.wordpress.com
Twitter: @WriterDove
Facebook: Rachel Dove author

A new love could be about to bloom for Lily 

Lily Rose Baxter loves her little flower shop on Foxley Street and the freedom and independence from her family that it represents.

Lily can't help but feel that something is missing from her life…, but when mysterious stranger Will Singer comes into her shop looking for the perfect bouquet of roses, all that could be about to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment