Saturday 7 November 2015

Kelly's Guest Review: Zara Stoneley - A Very Country Christmas

Reviewed by Kelly Spillane

Festive fervour takes over and it isn’t all seasonal peace and goodwill as expectations rise and it soon escalates from cosy dinner for two, to all the trimmings for ten!

With missing turkeys, loose horses, troublesome terriers and randy huntsmen, Lottie is hard pushed to find time for a kiss under the mistletoe, let alone find the opportunity to woo Rory with her sexy Santa costume.

But there is only one thing Lottie really wants for Christmas, and only one man can deliver it…

Amazon link: Kindle

A Very Country Christmas is set in the small village of Tippermere, deep in the Cheshire countryside, which is home to many Lords and Ladies. On the highest hill in the village lies Tipping House Estate, home to Lottie, her fiancé Rory and their many horses. Tipping House Estate is owned by Lottie’s maternal Grandmother, Lady Elizabeth, and is set to be inherited by Lottie upon her Grandmother’s death. Lottie and Rory have been engaged for three months and Lottie is getting worried because there is no sign of an engagement ring. Hoping that Rory will get her one for Christmas, Lottie starts planning a very romantic Christmas dinner for two. But before Lottie knows what is happening, dinner for two has turned into dinner for eleven, and it doesn’t all run smoothly in the run up to Christmas dinner at Tipping Estate House.

The first thing you will read when you open this book is a list of characters and an explanation of who they are. You will also read a few paragraphs about Tippermere which I think is a lovely touch as it allows you to understand the book you are reading better, I knew who everyone was before I started reading. 

The village of Tippermere makes this story in my opinion. It is such a beautifully described setting and I found that the village gives the book a real Christmassy feel. The characters are also great and are brilliantly written. I especially love Lottie, she gives the story that extra sparkle and she is such a loveable character. I love how this book shows us such a strong bond between the family. 

I most definitely wouldn’t laugh if I found myself in Lottie’s situation but I found myself laughing out loud on multiple occasions while reading this. The mishaps that Lottie has, especially when cooking the Christmas dinner, left me giggling not so quietly to myself. I absolutely flew through this book and read in it just two sittings. I really didn’t know what to expect when I started this book, and I wasn’t sure if it would be my cup of tea, but I quickly found myself immersed in the story and I found that the pages started to turn themselves. 

I really enjoyed this book and it is perfect for getting you in the festive mood. I am also really looking forward to reading more about the lovely village of Tippermere in the author’s previous books, Stable Mates and Country Affairs. A Very Country Christmas is laugh out loud funny and is a lovely light and easy read. Short, sweet and to the point, it tells a lovely story about family at Christmas. Told as three separate courses, this book practically reads itself. You won’t regret reading this brilliant Christmas tale. 

No comments:

Post a Comment