Wednesday 26 August 2015

Debut Spotlight: Liz Tipping

Today it's my absolute pleasure to welcome Liz Tipping to the blog for today's debut spotlight feature as it feels like I've 'known' her online forever although really it's probably been a few years but in that time I've enjoyed hearing about her writing journey via her blog.  And all her hard work has finally paid off as her debut novel Five Go Glamping is published this Friday by Carina UK.

Liz Tipping writes romantic comedy.

As well as reading and writing novels, Liz enjoys John Hughes films, science fiction box sets, reality television, Irish sausages and ginger beer.

Her debut novel Five Go Glamping is published by Carina and she is represented by Juliet Mushens. 

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LizziesBooks
Twitter: @LizTipping 
Website: liztipping.com 
Blog: fivegoglamping.blogspot.com 

Glamping Check list

Festival tickets
Double check best Instagram filter
Avoid thinking about work/Connor/five year plan!!

A four day break from her hectic life to relax in the countryside and hang out at a local festival (for free!) is just what Fiona Delaney needs. With her best friends, great tunes and a cool looking hat her Instagram shots are going to look A-Mazing!

Until suddenly glamping starts to feel a lot more like camping and Fiona’s in desperate search of a comfy chair, wi-fi and a chilled glass of wine. But when she finally makes it to the local pub she discovers this trip could be more than just a holiday, it might just change her life forever…

Can you tell us a little bit about your debut novel Five Go Glamping?
It’s a romantic comedy holiday set over the August Bank Holiday weekend. Fiona is fed up at work and hasn’t seen much of her boyfriend lately and she feels things aren’t quite going to plan. September is approaching and Fiona and her friends feel like summer has slipped by without them having any fun, so they go on a glamping trip They meet some weird and wonderful characters-  but it’s not quite the relaxing getaway Fiona hopes for. 

I'm assuming that the inspiration for the book came from a love of camping, although if your holidays were anything like ours when you were younger they were far from luxury, so had you ever been glamping before?  If not, how did you go about researching the whole luxury camping experience? 
You would be correct! I absolutely love camping. I have so many happy memories of camping as a child, but you’re right, it was far from luxurious. And I was camping last year when I heard from my editor about my book deal for Five Go Glamping. 

When I began writing the book, I hadn’t been glamping before so I used twitter to research glampsites and I pinned lots of beautiful glamping images on my pinterest board http://www.pinterest.com/Liz_Tipping/glamping/

It wasn’t until I was in the very last stage of editing Five Go Glamping that I actually got to go glamping. I had a wonderful time at Worcester Glamping http://worcesterglamping.co.uk/ and it gave me that last little bit of inspiration to finish.

What essentials would you recommend we take for a weekend of glamping? 
I suppose the rest of it depends what your accommodation is like. If you are staying in a bell tent or a yurt, you are still staying in a tent. The yurt I stayed in at Worcester was lovely and warm as it had a wood burning stove, but I imagine if you are staying in a traditional caravan or a treehouse, you really need to keep nice and toasty, so maybe some thermals? Thermals are glamorous, aren’t they? 
You also need to take lashings of ginger beer! 

Describe Fiona in three words.
She’s funny, focused and fed-up. 

On your blog Five Go Glamping you cover a bit of everything (travel, love of all things vintage as well as featuring book reviews), had you the novel in mind when you came up with the name of it or was the novel inspired by the name of your blog? 
I love blogging, it’s one of my favourite things to do- it combines all the things I like – writing, photography and I love the social aspect of it too.  I came up with the idea for the novel some years ago and used @fivegoglamping as a twitter name for a while. I’d have several blogs before but the twitter handle also seemed to sum up what I wanted to blog about - it hinted at books, days gone by and travel. Though I must say, my travel blog posts  aren’t really what you would call travel writing and are very often photos of dogs I met on holiday with some tales of the funny things that happen. I share blog posts on my website liztipping.com, but I love my Five Go Glamping blog as it feels like home.   

If you had a choice would you prefer to have a weekend away in a hotel or a weekend glamping?    
Ooh tricky one! I’d have to say glamping- though I do love a stay in a hotel as well! 

What can we expect from you next? 
My second book is almost ready to be sent off to my agent and editor! It was such fun to write and I am really excited about sharing it. 

Have you always known that you wanted to write?   
I always loved writing but it never occurred to me I could be an author.  A friend from school recently told me she remembered me saying I wanted to write a novel, but I didn’t remember it all. After leaving school, I took A level English at an evening class. The tutor told us all not to attempt any creative writing in the English language sections of the exam because our writing wouldn’t be good enough to get a good grade, so after that I didn’t write stories at all. Then one afternoon, twenty years later, I began writing a novel. 

Are you going to treat yourself to something special to celebrate publishing your debut novel?
I’ve ordered myself a t-shirt which says “Author” on it! 

Finally have you anything exciting planned for publication day itself? 
I have. I am off on a little trip around Ireland so expect some “dogs on holiday” blog posts from me along with some selfies of me in my author t-shirt.

Thanks so much for having me, Sharon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment