Tuesday 23 June 2015

Author Interview: Tracy Bloom

Happy publication day to Tracy Bloom for her latest book No-One Ever Has Sex in the Suburbs and I'm so pleased that Tracy has taken time out of her busy schedule to pop by the blog for a chat.

Can you tell us a little bit about your latest book No-One Ever Has Sex in the Suburbs?
It is the sequel to the no 1 bestselling e-book, NO-ONE EVER HAS SEX ON A TUESDAY, but if you haven’t read that one don’t worry as no previous experience is necessary.

Ben and Katy haven’t had sex since Ben found out about her one-night stand with her childhood sweetheart, Matthew.

Not only that but they are not coping with the arrival of their newborn baby.

Drastic measures are required, so they swap roles so Katy can return to her highly paid job whilst Ben becomes a stay-at-home dad.

Only he’s a disaster and in desperation he starts secretly accepting help – from Matthew’s wife. And so begins a circle of lies and suspicion making it unlikely they ‘ll ever sex again.

Had you always planned on writing a follow-up to No-One Ever Has Sex on a Tuesday or has this come about following feedback from readers who wanted to hear more about Katy, Ben & Matthew's story? 
I hadn’t planned it no but I had such amazing feedback from NO-ONE EVER HAS SEX ON A TUESDAY that I had to respond and find out for everyone (as well as me) what happened next. I can’t tell you what a joy it is to return to characters you already know and love. I particularly enjoyed writing the characters of Daniel and Braindead as they just seemed to write themselves and their sense of humour came flooding back.

If you had to describe No-One Ever Has Sex in the Suburbs in one sentence, what would it be?
Full of the chaos, hilarity and heartache of when real life gets in the way of love. 

What can we expect from you next?
I have a strong idea for my next book and I can’t wait to start writing it. It’s another unusual title that has sparked my imagination. No spoilers just yet.

How did your writing journey start? 
My husband’s work took us to live in America for three years pulling me away from my previous career in marketing. I’d always wanted to write a novel but I had a newborn baby in tow so I ditched the domestic chores and opportunities to meet real people and wrote whenever my son slept. That was eight years ago and I am very happy to say that writing is now my full time career apart from children and husband herding!

What does your typical writing day look like?  And do you set yourself a daily writing target?
Depends where I am in the process. When I’m just trying to get it down I typically drop the children off at school then go and brainstorm my ideas on paper in a coffee shop. Afterwards I go home and type it all my thoughts up and on a good day I can get nearly 3,000 words written. The school day is unbelievable short, which adds to the pressure, but I feel very lucky to be able to work from home and be around for my children.

If you could write in a collaboration with another author, who would you like to write with? 
What a great question.  I like writing from the male and female point of view so I would be interesting to collaborate with a male author. I recently read a brilliant book called The Extra-Ordinary Life of Frank Derrick written by J. B Morrison. I loved his humour and his ability to take such a simple premise and make it so gripping. He also used to be in the band Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine so I think he’d be fun to work with!

What is the best writing advice you have ever received?
Don’t edit as you go along. I did that with SINGLE WOMAN SEEKS REVENGE and it was torture. You second guess yourself and are over critical. Just get it down then leave it alone for a while. Then edit.

Do you treat yourself to a reward once your books are published? 
I try to but having a busy family life and work life doesn’t always allow for treats. When NO-ONE EVER HAS SEX ON A TUESDAY got to no1 on the e-book charts I did run around the garden spraying champagne at my children. I then stayed up until the small hours celebrating which resulted in late night singing of Take That. Good times!!

Ben and Katy haven't had sex since Ben found out about her one-night stand with her childhood sweetheart, Matthew. 

Not only that but the arrival of a new-born baby has blown their relationship apart like a hand grenade. 

Drastic measures are required, so they swap roles hoping that everyone will be happier... Only it’s not as easy as they thought. When a desperate Ben starts secretly accepting help to solve his childcare disasters – from Matthew’s wife – it could mean the end of everything. Can their relationship survive the lies and suspicions and will they ever have sex again? 

No comments:

Post a Comment