Saturday 19 April 2014

Guest Book Review: Lucy Lawrie - Tiny Acts of Love

Reviewed by Charlene Wedgner

Surviving motherhood? It's all about having the right support network.

Lawyer and new mum Cassie has a husband who converses mainly through jokes, a best friend on the other side of the world, and a taskforce of Babycraft mothers who make her feel she has about as much maternal aptitude as a jellyfish. 


Husband Jonathan dismisses Cassie’s maternal anxieties, but is he really paying attention to his struggling wife? He’s started sleep talking and it seems there’s more on his mind than he’s letting on. Then sexy, swaggering ex-boyfriend Malkie saunters into Cassie’s life again. Unlike Jonathan, he ‘gets’ her. He’d like to get her into bed again, too… 


And on top of all her emotional turmoil, she also finds herself advising a funeral director on ghost protocol and becomes involved in an act of hotel spa fraud, never mind hiding cans of wasp spray all over the house to deal with the stalker who seems to be lurking everywhere she looks. Marriage and motherhood isn’t the fairytale Cassie thought it would be. Will her strange new world fall apart around her or will tiny acts of love be enough to get her through?


Amazon links: Kindle or Paperback

I had seen few people discussing it on twitter but had no idea what the storyline was. I knew I liked the cover and in all honesty it’s not what expected …but in a good way! I was expecting a very light easy chick lit which I adore but from first page I knew there was more to this book than a happy ever after. 

From the first couple of pages I instantly connected with the main character Cassie who has just returned home from giving birth to her first child. I felt like the words on the paper could have been from a diary of mine when I was in those first few days and weeks after the arrival of something small yet so huge! 

So I already knew I would enjoy this book as I felt a genuine connection.

The book explores emotions that maybe some other books are scared to. Its funny, thought provoking and very real!! Becoming a mum is hard and this book shows how hard and how much of a upheaval to your life this small arrival has.

I whizzed through this book in one day and will remain with me as a book that put into words some of the difficult emotions I felt as a first time mum.

Thanks Sharon for letting me be a guest reviewer.  

I'd like to thank ED Public Relations for sending me a proof copy of this book and Charlene for reviewing it for my blog.  Amazon links: Kindle or Paperback

No comments:

Post a Comment