Friday 21 March 2014

Books Read: Lucy-Anne Holmes - Just a Girl Standing in Front of a Boy

'My love story may not be the sort you read about in books or see in films . . . Love stories have glorious highs and ghastly lows. But when it comes to my own life, I'd have to say, you can keep your fabulous highs and I'll happily steer clear of the terrible lows.' 

After a rocky start in life, Jenny Taylor, 27, star receptionist at the local doctors surgery, has things all worked out thanks to a list of ten daily things she must do to keep the blues at bay. But her life is turned upside down when she meets aspiring musician Joe King. And reliable boyfriend Matt proposes. And then her mum leaves her dad and moves into Jenny's flat determined to 'bond'.



 Amazon links: Kindle or Paperback

Despite Just a Girl Standing in Front of a Boy being Lucy-Anne Holmes' fourth novel it's actually the first one that I've read so I really wasn't sure what to expect at all.

Jenny Taylor, aka Fanny,  is a young woman with everything to live for; she's got a steady job, great family and friends, and has a boyfriend who loves her.  Why then does her life go into a tailspin when she finds herself attracted to another man Joe King, finds herself questioning is Matt 'Mr Right' when he proposes, and having to deal with the arrival of her mother on her doorstep as she's left Jenny's dad!

Fanny and her best friend Phillipa were a hilarious combination especially when they were coming up with ideas as to what to do as part of the 'Smiling Fanny Manifesto' Phillipa devised, daily tasks of things to do to keep her depression at bay.  I especially loved the Friday themed dress days and as for helping others find love well I think they'd better leave that to cupid....

Although Fanny was a fantastic central character, the secondary characters all played their part too and you can't help but get swept along with them as you follow them from one drama to another.  I have to confess Doris, Fanny's elderly friend, was one of my personal favourites as she sounded like she was up for anything ;)

A fantastic, feel-good read, although there a definitely a few poignant moments as well, but overall the perfect read to brighten up your day.

I'd like to thank Jo at Sphere for sending me a copy of this book to review. 

1 comment: