Tuesday 16 August 2016

Food & Drink Month: Q&A with Rebecca Pugh

Today it's the turn of blogger and author Rebecca Pugh to take part in the Q&A fun for this Food & Drink feature month. Rebecca's third book Down on Daffodil Lane was published last week, what an amazing achievement in just 14 months.

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself and your writing journey?
Of course! My name is Rebecca Pugh, and I’m an author of sugar-sweet romance with Carina UK. I’m currently working on my fourth novel (untitled at the moment!), and you’ll also find me reading and reviewing books on my book blog, Becca’s Books. I’m a lover of countryside walks, new pyjamas and cups of tea. I live in Shropshire with my partner and our Jack Russell, Bonnie, and I do believe it’s the little things in life that make the world go around.

In two of your three books, the main characters have either owned a Diner (A Home in Sunset Bay) or worked in a cafe (Down on Daffodil Lane), what attracted you to featuring jobs in the food industry?
There’s something homely and inviting about food in my mind, and in my experience, food is the centrepiece of most of life’s greatest occasions! A BBQ in the summer. A birthday cake. Christmas dinner. To me, it’s not just about the act of eating, but it’s about how food makes you feel something. I think that’s why I wanted to include Harriet’s cafĂ© and Dolly’s Diner in two of my books. It’s where the stories come together, where conversations are held and secrets shared. And over a cup of coffee or a slice of cake? Well, you just can’t beat it!


Describe your cooking style, follow recipes religiously or wing it and see how it turns out? 
The truth, ladies and gentleman, is that I am a hopeless cook. I love to look at food. I love to eat food. But when it comes to actually preparing the food myself? Well… let’s just say that it can get a bit messy. Nine times out of ten, I will wing it completely. I’ll have a recipe to follow, but I’m hopeless at managing to get any sort of technique nailed during the process. I’m always delighted when something I’ve cooked actually turns out okay, which is very rarely!

If you were going to apply to be a contestant on a cooking show, would it be Masterchef or Great British Bake Off?
Hmm, great question! I think I’d have to choose Masterchef. I do love cakes and pastries, but I’d love to try my hand at Masterchef. Although actually, thinking about it, I’d crumble under the pressure either way, so perhaps it’s best if I stay away altogether?  
You're planning a dinner party, which 5 people (dead or alive) would you invite?  
Stephen King. Anne Hathaway. Jill Mansell. Gordon Ramsay. Meryl Streep. This would be AMAZING.

It's your last day on earth, what 3 course meal would you choose?
For a starter, I’d love anything cheesy! So perhaps goat’s cheese with red onion on brioche? Just something light but tasty to really get the hunger going.

For a main, it has got to be lamb shanks with mint sauce and all the veg. YUM!

And for a dessert, maybe something simple yet delicious, like a chocolate mousse.

What's your favourite dish to cook?  
The best I can offer you, lovely Sharon, is a cheese and potato pie. I know, I know, it probably sounds SO dull, but honestly, it’s the cosiest, fluffiest meal I’ve had, and just about the only thing I can cook without destroying everything around me. It’s so simple. Boil your potatoes. Mash them up. Lots of butter and milk so they’re like fluffy little clouds. Pop into your baking dish. Layer with lots of cheese. And then slide into the oven for about thirty minutes, until the top is golden. BEST-COMFORT-FOOD-EVER.

And now a few quickfire questions to finish ;-)

Gordon Ramsay or Marco Pierre White? Ramsay! I LOVE Ramsay. In fact, you could even say that I’m a little obsessed with Chef Ramsay. And guess what? He follows me on Twitter!
Paul Hollywood or Mary Berry? Mary Berry! She’s LOVELY! 
Sweet or Savoury? Savoury, definitely. 
Steak or Lobster? Got to love a good steak!
Profiteroles or Crumble? Oh, tough one. I’d have to say profiteroles. 
Smoothie or Prosecco? I LOVE smoothies, so strawberry and banana smoothie for me please!

Thank you so much for inviting me to take part in your fabulous feature, Sharon! I’m now incredibly hungry… ;) 

Blog: http://thisisbeccasbooks.blogspot.co.uk 
Twitter: @beccasbooksUK 
Facebook: Becca's Books

No comments:

Post a Comment