Wednesday 9 April 2014

Debut Spotlight: Joanna Bolouri

Today I'm delighted to introduce you to one of Quercus Books newest authors Joanna Bolouri whose debut novel The List  is published tomorrow.

Joanna Bolouri worked in sales before she began writing professionally at the age of thirty. Winning a BBC comedy script competition allowed her to work and write with stand-up comedians, comedy scriptwriters and actors from across the UK. She's had articles and reviews published in The Skinny, the Scottish Sun, the Huffington Post and HecklerSpray.

She lives in Glasgow with her daughter. 

Phoebe Henderson may be single but she sure doesn't feel fabulous. It's been a year since she found her boyfriend Alex in bed with another woman, and multiple cases of wine and extensive relationship analysis with best friend Lucy have done nothing to help. Faced with a new year but no new love, Phoebe concocts a different kind of resolution.

The List: ten things she's always wanted to do in bed but has never had the chance (or the courage!) to try. A bucket list for between the sheets. One year of pleasure, no strings attached. 

Simple, right? 

Factor in meddlesome colleagues, friends with benefits, getting frisky al fresco and maybe, possibly, true love and Phoebe's got her work cut out for her.

Can you tell us a little bit about your debut book The List? 
The List is a romcom which follows a year in the life of Phoebe Henderson, a thirty something woman who makes a New Year’s resolution – a list of ten things she’s always wanted to do in bed. She’s determined to take control of her life but of course, it doesn’t always go to plan.

Where did the inspiration come from to write about a sexual bucket list?
It came from a conversation between friends, where we all talked about things we’d never done in bed but would like to. Some of them were hysterical so the idea grew from there.

Are you willing to admit if any of these are from your own personal experiences?
Sure, I’ve done a couple of them but I’d say my own list would be different from Phoebe’s. She’s much braver than me haha.

Did you always know that you wanted to be a writer?
I always wanted to write but I didn’t really throw myself into it until I hit 30. 

What does a typical writing day look like for you?
I take my daughter to school in the morning, then (after several coffees) I try and get a few hours in before I have to collect her. If I’m not too tired, I’ll also write when she’s in bed. 

Have you any exciting plans for publication day?
I think I’m going to drive to my local supermarket, jump around a little and take photos of my book until security throw me out.

Are you going to treat yourself to something nice? 
I’m taking my daughter on holiday soon, so that’ll be my treat. 

If you could go on a writing retreat anywhere in the world, where would you choose?
I’d say New York but I’d never get anything done after I’d spent all day walking around shouting THIS IS AWESOME. So I’ll choose an old castle with lots of rooms – I like places with a history, the can be incredibly inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment