Tuesday 10 September 2013

Books Read: Lucy Lord - Revelry

One summer can change everything…

What happens when a friend breaks the one rule that should never be broken?


Best friends Bella and Poppy are living the dream – Notting Hill glamour, Shoreditch lofts, exclusive parties and drop-dead gorgeous men. But sometimes living life to the max catches up with you, and even the strongest friendships can be pushed to the limit.


Poppy, Bella and their friends spend the summer having as much fun as they possibly can – from the hedonistic escapades of Ibiza to doing Glastonbury in style. But amongst the laughter come tears, betrayal and backstabbing and one devastating decision threatens to bring it all crashing down. And, once the sunglasses have come off, Bella is forced to question if her lifelong friendship has been broken beyond repair.



I bought a copy of Lucy Lord's debut book Revelry, and downloaded her short short prequel Party Night, last year but I hadn't actually gotten around to reading either books!  So when Lucy sent me a copy of her latest novel Vanity to review it has finally forced me to read these now so that I can pick up the story of Bella and Poppy in the latest book.

The main protagonist Bella is single and a struggling artist who doesn't really believe in herself and has settled for boring temping jobs even though her dream is to make it as an artist, whereas best friend Poppy seems to have it all a high-powered job and a loving husband Damian.

Throughout the summer Bella, Poppy and their friends, including Bella's brother Max, Damian's best friend Ben, have plenty of adventures to keep them occupied but not necessarily out of mischief!  Taking them from Ibiza to Glastonbury and back to London, will their friendships remain intact after this eventful summer?

After reading the blurb on the back cover I had been expecting a lot of partying to the extreme, but I was still a little shocked at the excess drink and drugs that they seemed to partake on a regular basis, but if you can overlook this and actually follow the story you'll see that there's so much more to discover as characters have to deal with serious issues such as Alzheimers, adultery and family dramas. 

Overall it was an enjoyable read but not sure it's one I'd go back and read again as even though I'm not a prude there was a little bit too much excess swearing and drugs even for me. I've got a few other books to read and review first but then I'll be back with my review for Vanity. 

Amazon links: Paperback or Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment